A WAY THROUGH THE PAIN
Nearly eight months ago I found out that I had a herniated disc and sciatica in my right leg, which has made me completely re-evaluate the way I am living. At the beginning, I was barely able to walk. As an extremely active person, whose main loves are walking, running and playing the piano, this was a devastating blow for me.
I had never previously suffered from even the mildest backache and in all honesty had no idea of the consequences. I had to halt my job hunt, even though a good job opportunity arose. I then embarked on intense physiotherapy and acupuncture, enlisting the help of a posture specialist, and did specially advised exercises in a heated swimming pool three times a week. I had to dig deep, trying to keep motivation going, when I struggled to move in the pool during the first few months. It was extremely frustrating, but I will never forget the encouragement that I received from all those in rehabilitation.
Friends and family really came through for me. They helped me to walk, gradually building up day by day, and supported me through all the setbacks. I could not have got through the acute phase without them. During this period, a friend's cousin's cancer returned with a vengeance but in spite of everything, my friend continued helping me learn her native Spanish as I tried to go on walks with her. Her cousin, Consuelo, was and always will be my inspiration for her courageous fight and vitality through adversity.
For over three months I suffered severe insomnia due to the pain. I decided I had to do something engaging to try and distract myself and so I took up Modern Greek; something I had always wanted to do. Every large cloud has a slither of silver lining and in this case, finally I had the time. Lessons were demanding as I could barely get in the car to get to private lessons, but it gave me a focus and the teacher was wonderful and got me writing and speaking basic phrases quickly.
Something I have learnt through this is that sometimes we need to accept help when people offer. It can be difficult when you are a fiercely independent person, but my husband and his family have helped with encouragement, carrying heavy things such as the shopping, assisting with house chores, driving me to places and other practical things. Their willingness to help means so much to me.
I first saw a surgeon who could only offer a cortisone injection directly into my spine. After careful consideration, I decided to opt for the lesser-known, relatively new pain relief method of ozone therapy. The results have been significant. Before I could only walk a few hundred metres. After a course of 12 sessions, I was able to walk for an hour.
Numerous specialists have been invaluable in their advice and support during this period. Their focus has been on treating the whole person. There has been significant research in the last decade showing a connection between wellbeing and physical symptoms. I am no expert, but sometimes you cannot just treat the body and forget the mind, and a holistic approach linking the two is most definitely required.
If, dear reader, you ever find yourself in a similar situation and have to go through a period of rehabilitation, I strongly advise you to spend time with people who encourage you and can see beyond your limitations to the real 'you'. Unfortunately it is not an easy journey, so you should never beat yourself up over any setback, but if you can arm yourself with a good pain management package from medical professionals, and have a strong inner determination, the better your chances of improvement. For the moment, I have had to let go of everyday activities most people take for granted, including driving, relaxing on a sofa and sitting to play the piano. It is worth the effort and I believe that in the end, after all the exercises and work, I will come out stronger and appreciating my life more.

Comments
Post a Comment